We know that we must do exercise regularly to maintain good health. But do you think or want to know how many days in a week and how long every day we should do workout?
Here are the solutions for everyone:–
At least 30 minutes workout
The American College of Sports Medicine suggests that– 30 minutes of moderate activities in most of the days of a week (four to five days) is desirable to maintain fitness. If you are a person with a normal body weight, then to maintain a healthy weight and reap health benefits, like: – lowering the risk of osteoporosis, diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease, 30 minutes of moderate exercise is suffice. From research and more than 40 studies in the scientific literature depicts that cardiac risks can be reduced by 30 to 50 % by regular, moderate cardio exercise at least 30 minutes of five days in a week. The American College of Sports Medicine guides you how to be fit by exercise, in the following ways :–
- First do five to ten-minute warm-up
- Then 30 to 45 minutes of continuous aerobic activity or cardio workout (swimming, jogging, brisk walking, running, dancing etc.) five times a week.
- Then finish your workout with a stretch and cool down 5 to 10 minutes at least.
- You must also incorporate weight training (use dumbbell, barbell, weight machines etc.) at least twice in a week. Do weight training in this way–at least one set that bearing 8 to 12 repetitions, with 8 to 10 various exercises targeting the problematic muscle groups of your body. Remember to do proper stretching after weight training.
- You can break your total 30 minutes of workout in to 2 chunks of 15 minutes, 3 bouts of 10 minutes or one bout of 30 minutes according to your daily life.
45-60 minutes workout to maintain your weight
As 30 minutes of workout will be ok for your cardio vascular system and your heart, but you may not be able to shed any pound by this. For this, the Institute of Medicine recently released a lengthy report to recommend you 60 minutes of daily vigorous physical activity to maintain cardiovascular health and ideal body weight and BMI or body composition. So, to prevent weight gain or control your weight, you must go for as much as 60 minutes of moderate workout in most of the days of a week.
90 minutes to shed the pound if you are overweight
If you are overweight, then your high end of spectrum is 90 minutes of exercise most of the day of a week. 90 minutes is recommended for those who are significantly overweight, have lost a substantial amount of weight (like me), and eager to maintain that weight loss effect and keep up the shape of the body in the long term (like me also). That is, if you are an advanced level of exerciser, you have to do more than 60 minutes of workout at least 5 days in a week to sustain. But remember to take rest between high intensity workout days, those who are in advanced level of workout.
What’s Up Bangladeshi People?
Remember, to get the benefit in great extent, you must be more active. I found almost all Bangladeshi people are not serious about their health at all. You have to make time for your workout schedule according to your body, weight, activity level, job, daily life etc. into your busy schedule, either 30, 60 or 90 minutes five days in a week. I believe you can do it and I hope I can help you in this regard. But remember to consult with a doctor or a skilled Gym instructor before you start your exercise.
Remember that, you can get the result on hand in a cumulative ways; you will not get at once, you have to wait to meet the threshold time or you have to give time to work exercises in your body.
So, beginners start exercise from 10 minutes in a day and gradually increase it and add 5 minutes until you reach 30 minutes of workout along with balanced diet to keep you fit and healthy.
what will happen if some body leaves regular exercise after 6months or 1 year? will he gain weight, even he was not over weight at the beginning?
Thank you for your question. It’s a bit tough question to answer whether he will gain weight or not. Because, it depends on his lifestyle, food habit, activity level and intensity level of his exercise. 6 months to 1 year is enough to be habituated in exercise. If anyone quits regular exercising for a long period of time, then it has various kinds of bad impacts, like:–
• Exercise increases Basal Metabolic Rate or BMR. For this, we need more calories. If anyone stops exercise, and if he does not take fewer calories, then this extra calories will accumulate as fat. Metabolism will also become slower.
• Studies have shown that muscular strength will return back to pre-exercise status within 4 to 12 weeks off. Even if he maintains a good diet, he will be significantly weaker and flabbier.
• Muscle will also shrink between 4 to 12 weeks break.
• Research shows that, he will begin to lose his activity level and feel more tired doing same work (which he used to do before leaving exercise) within two weeks. Where exercise gave him more stamina and strength.
• Moreover, he may feel pain or discomfort in his muscles. This results him a lethargic person.
For the above reasons, it is not recommended to leave exercise at all, even if anyone is not overweight. If he has to give up exercise, he can do it at most for one month duration.