In Bangladesh, we are passing time in glorious summer weather. But, this weather can cause illness and heat-related problems. Illness can stem from heat exhaustion or heat stroke, or from inappropriate choice of food.
We can avoid heat related problems and deaths by taking right steps at right time for right persons. You must avoid strenuous physical activities during hot weather at fixed time of the day. But, don’t try to breach about your regular workout schedule by making excuse for hot weather.
The following information provide on how you can protect yourself during hot weather: These hot weather tips are not a substitute for medical care but may help you recognize and respond promptly to warning signs of trouble. Your best defense against heat-related illness is prevention.
TIPS FOR STAYING COOL AND HEALTHY:
- Drink plenty of water: Drink plenty of liquids like water, which is non-carbonated liquids or electrolyte-enriched liquids. Because by sweating you lose minerals and electrolytes, and you can balance these by taking a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. If you do exercise, drink two to four glasses of cool, plain water in each hour. Warning: Ask your doctor how much you can take if you have any problem to take fluid or water.
- Avoid these liquids: Avoid liquids that have alcohol, caffeine or lots of sugar because they will speed up fluid loss. Also, avoid very cold drinks, ice creams as they can cause stomach cramps.
- Stay Cool: Try to stay indoors and, if possible, stay in an air-conditioned place. If there is no air conditioning facility at your home, go to the shopping mall or public library or any other place where you can get this-even a few hours spent in air conditioning can help your body’s temperature less and helps you to stay cooler, results no heat stroke.
- Take shower: If you feel very hot, cool off by taking a cool bath or shower. Opening a window or using a fan may not prevent heat-related illnesses.
- Wear light weight dress: Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing, such as cotton, so sweat can evaporate.
- NEVER leave anyone or your pets in closed, parked cars during hot weather.
7.Take care of your babies: Do not bundle babies in blankets or heavy clothing. Infants do not tolerate heat well because their sweat glands are not fully developed.
8.Workout time: Limit physical activity to morning and evening hours. Avoid physical activity or exercise between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. typically the hottest part of the day.
9.Use shelter: Use an umbrella because your head absorbs heat easily.
10. Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a wide hat and sunglasses . Protect your skin by putting on sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher before 15 mins of going out (search this product by: “broad spectrum” or “UVA/UVB protection” on their labels).
11. You must take care of these people: Although any one at any time can suffer from heat-related illness, some people are at greater risk than others. Check regularly on:
- People aged 65 or above
- People who are mentally sick
- Those who have heart disease or high blood pressure
- Infants or babies and young children
12. Balance activity with rest. Don’t push yourself beyond your physical limits . Take rest and nap when necessary.
13. Eat smart and healthy. Don’t go for fried or junk or oily foods. Too much junk food could destroy your summer fun. Don’t take foods with too much condiment. We Bangladeshi like to eat “bhuna” . Avoid it during this hot weather. Take balance diet with limited carbohydrate and proper nutrition. Don’t take stale foods, long time frozen foods etc. Try to take fresh cooked foods everyday. Don’t consume foods, kept in refrigerator, immediately without warming it. Keep your energy up by limiting sweets and fatty foods and focusing on fresh summer fruits and vegetables, whole grains and healthy lean protein. In Bangladesh, you can get a lot of fresh juicy fruits in this summer like: watermelon, wood apple, mango,pineapple etc. Take these fruits naturally or by making juice.
14. During Load shading time: We are in huge electricity problem. During load shading stay in a cool place if you don’t have generator or IPS at your home. Select the place where air is welling out properly. You can go to riverside or water side place as a cooler place. You can keep a bucket which is full of water in your room or your can sprinkle water into your curtain to keep your room cooler.
15. If You Have to Go Outdoors
- If you have to go to outdoor, limit it to morning and evening hours. Remember: the UV rays are greatest from 10 am to 4 pm.Avoid this timing to go out and damage your skin by UV rays.
2. Choose shady areas to stroll or walking. Keep away yourself from sun.
Image by: Nicholaus Haskins